Please note: the resources listed here are outside our control, so links will occasionally be inoperative, despite regular checks. Please help by reporting broken links to the webmaster. Any additions would also be greatly appreciated.
UK mountain regions
UK snow conditions
General UK and worldwide weather
Forecasts on Radio
- Chris Crocker lists weather forecasts for Britain's mountains.
- Cairn Gorm Weather station - data and photographs from the automatic weather station on the summit of Cairn Gorm, with a selection of additional links.
- The Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Illinois has background information on satellites and remote imaging, including interpretation of images.
- The Satellite Receiving Station at Dundee University has pictures from NOAA satellites.
- The UK Met. Office has the latest visible spectrum and infra-red satellite pictures of Europe. The shipping forecast gives a good idea of what's going on.
- European Center for Medium range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) - contour plots from the ECMWF forecast model. This model runs to 6 days into the future and provides data at 24 hour intervals for sea level pressure, 850mb winds and temperatures and 500mb heights. The plots are generated at 01:45 AM (GMT) daily.
Telephone forecast for the Lake District
- You'll have to get off your backside to use this one (but you can use it from more places than the Web-based ones): the Lake District fells weather forecast is on (01768) 775757. It's updated twice per day (at 08:00 and 17:30) and usually includes a warden's report from Helvellyn. To my knowledge this is the only specialist mountain weather forecast service left which is not on a premium-rate number, so use it while it lasts!